Federal financial aid investments at FIU make a critical impact in South Florida, allowing our region to gain new college-educated professionals as these individuals work to pursue their dreams.
FIU is one of the largest public universities by campus enrollment, and nearly 24,000 students currently receive Pell grants (46 percent of total undergraduate population).
- In South Florida, 138,803 students receive Pell Grants at the sum of $552,918,385.
- Over 57 percent of these students receive the maximum award based on an expected family contribution of $0.
- 45 percent of Pell grant recipients at FIU are first generation college students.
- 23,514 FIU students received Pell Grants in 2018-19.
- 20,218 FIU students receive Stafford loans.
- On average, our students graduate with an average debt of $19,923.
- Percentage of FIU borrowers defaulted on their Federal student loans within three years of entering repayment= 5.3% (National Average= 10.8%)