Federal financial aid investments at FIU make a critical impact in South Florida, allowing our region to gain new college-educated professionals as these individuals work to pursue their dreams.
FIU is one of the largest public universities by campus enrollment, and more than 19,000 students currently receive Pell grants (57 percent of total undergraduate population).
- 54 percent of these students receive the maximum award based on an expected family contribution of $0.
- 44 percent of Pell grant recipients at FIU are first generation college students.
- More than 23,195 FIU students receive Stafford loans.
- On average, our students graduate with an average debt of $19,276.
Together, we will make higher education not only an achievable goal, but a more affordable oneBetsy DeVos, U.S. Secretary of Education
Reductions to federal financial aid programs would disproportionately affect FIU’s students—many of whom are classified in the categories of highest need, such as the growing first generation and large Pell eligible populations—due to their heavy reliance on aid to attend school. As reauthorization and supplementary legislation move forward, year-round Pell grants and other access initiatives are still top priorities that would greatly benefit our students.
Research by our national partner, CEOs for Cities, shows that by increasing local baccalaureate degree production by just one percent, the South Florida region would benefit from an expected economic impact of $1.7 billion; such advances are only possible with continued federal financial aid investments.
Priorities/Recommendations for Congress
- Protect the maximum Pell grant amount and forestall interest rate increases on Stafford Loans.
- Encourage year-round Pell grants under the Higher Education Act.
- Department of Education
Wednesday, January 11, 2017
Landing that first job after college is an exciting milestone and a huge step forward, and with that job […]
Friday, August 12, 2016
Last-minute financial aid questions. Transferring college credits. Searching for cool internship and study abroad opportunities. A few months ago, you […]
Monday, April 18, 2016
Jobs on campus are useful tools for students looking to earn money and gain real-world experience while they study without […]